Monday, April 23, 2007

I Did It!

Hooray for me! I completed my first 5K event. I was worried about even doing the whole thing since I hurt my ankle, but I was okay and I even ran a bit. It was lots of fun because there were tons of people walking - even little kids and parents with strollers. Of course some of them were way faster than me, especially the kids! My time was 41:30. I hesitate to list it because I'm so slow, but hope this will motivate me to run more and be able to boast about my improvement. I would like to run another 5K soon and maybe actually run it. And maybe I can move up to a 10K once I'm done having kids and I've run out of excuses. A special thanks to my friend Jeanna who ran with me. Well, not with me since she actually ran the whole thing. But she did come back and find me and ran the last .1 mile with me. And a thanks to those who inspired me: Lindsay, who has been doing triathlons lately, and Shannon, who runs 10Ks like they're going out of style. You guys rock! I want to be like you. Anyone else who runs, please leave a comment so I can be more inspired.

5 comments:

shannon said...

You are so awesome, #72!!!! I think it is so great you finished even with the injury and not being able to prepare like you wanted. You must be eating your Wheaties!!

Shannon: Tara, what are you going to do now?
Tara: I'm going to Disneyworld!
Shannon: Great, you can stay with us!

Anonymous said...

Tara, that is awesome! You've got to start somewhere and a 5k is a good place. I love seeing that pic of you and Jean Bean.
As for me about as far as I walk is to the playground a half a block away. Sounds like I need to get started too!

Molly

Tiffany Feger said...

Your next goal should be a triathlon. Of course you'd have to move back to FL for that:) Steven and I did one. I trained and he didn't. He was 1st out of the water (Ft. Desoto) but almost died on the bike b/c he was so out of shape. The coolest part was telling people that I was training for a triathlon then being able to check the box: "triathlete" on applications. It's only a 1/3 mi swim, 10 mi bike ride (the worst part) then the 5k which you now know you can do!!!!!!!!!!! And hey Shannon, when do you do 10Ks? I've never done one.

tarable said...

Tiffany, I'm not suprised you've done a triathlon - your body looks like it handle a bunch of them! I would love to do one here (they swim in lakes), except for the fact that I don't really bike or swim. But I know my friend Lindsay wasn't much of a swimmer before she started training, so you never know. Maybe when I get bored with 10Ks I'll think about it.

Lindsay said...

Way to go, Tara! Getting started is the hardest part, and you've already done it! The things that help keep me going are 1( fear of the next big (for me) event, and 2)training with friends. No sleeping in when you're driving the carpool or someone is waiting for you outside your house . . . and I love spending an hour or two with friends every morning. I wish we lived in the same place so that we could work out together! Are you proud of me, writing my first blog post?