Monday, January 28, 2008

Bran Muffins

This is my favorite recipe for bran muffins; my mother's recipe & the one I grew up on. They are no diet muffins, but the bran is good for you, right? They have plenty of sugar, which is why I like them. Also, the batter keeps for a long time in the frig and I love fresh muffins! Actually, fresh muffins are about all I'll eat. As my husband will attest, I will only eat fresh, out-of-the-oven breakfast carbs. No reheated biscuits, muffins, pancakes or waffles for me. So I love that I can just pop 3 or 4 tins of bran muffin mix into the oven and have fresh goodies any day. Especially since I'm scheduled to have my baby on Wed. Nothing like an easy to prepare breakfast in those first few weeks. Hope the boys like them.

Bran Muffin Mix

2 c. Post 100% Bran
2 c. boiling water
3 c. sugar
1 c. oil
4 eggs
1 qt. buttermilk
5 c. flour
5 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 c. Kellogs All Bran

Add the boiling water to the 100% Bran and let sit.
Mix the sugar, oil, and eggs in a very large bowl. Add the buttermilk and mix. Add the hot bran and mix. Add the flour, soda, salt and mix. Add the All Bran.
Keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Will keep for 6-8 weeks. Bake at 400° for 20 min.

A note - I can't find Post 100% Bran at the grocery store anymore. It is very similar to the All Bran, like little sticks. I'm guessing you could just use All Bran for the whole thing. Today I tried half bran flakes for the 4 c. at the end, for a little variety. We'll see how it turned out tomorrow morning. Maybe your grocery store will have the 100% Bran.

1 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

dude! aren't you giving birth soon? what are you doing posting?

you're like a blogging nest-er or something!

i'm exciting to try these muffins...anything with buttermilk's gotta be good.