Thursday, February 7, 2008

Date Bars

I'm pretty sure my best friend during Roland's early days will be my Baby Bjorn. Or rather, my cheaper equivalent; I think it's a Snugli. I'm finding if I want to accomplish anything at all, this baby has to come along. Unless he's locked in his room, I run the risk of his older brothers torturing him in the name of love. And since a decent portion of his hours are spent sleeping, but only if you hold him, I'm breaking out this multi-tasking device early. Today I decided I was craving date bars, so Roley and I went to work while Emmett was napping.

I love date bars (mom's recipe again) and somehow dates seem healthy, although I don't know much about them except they are a fruit. I think. Obviously I love these bars because they have tons of sugar & butter in them. And I love an oatmeal crust, crumble, topping, etc. Even if you think you don't like dates - these bars will win you over.

Bottom & Top Crusts
1 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. brown sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all together until crumbly and press half in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.

Filling
1/2-3/4 c. sugar
3 Tbs. flour
2 c. chopped dates
1 1/4 c. hot water

Cook in a saucepan on the stove and stir until thick.

Pour filling over crust, sprinkle top crust on and bake for 30 min. at 350 degrees.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

just don't go all weird baby-wearing on us, ok?

hate dates. dates are like the only dessert in cairo. hate dates. can i try it with raisins or dried cherries or something? please?

* elizabeth * said...

Mmm. That sounds great! And baby carriers are a lifesaver! My first son lived in his. They love and I got use of my arms back, so I loved it, too.

Firefly Nights said...

These sound wonderful. Love the topping.

Anonymous said...

I love dates! And, yes, they are good for you. Thanks for the recipe!

Kathy said...

What a great recipe! Can't wait to try it...Kathy@ Mimi's Garden