Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer Book Trek

I finished my first two books for the Summer Book Trek, hosted by LDS Publisher blog. I altered my list a bit for what I was able to quickly get my hands on, and here's the update:

Freefall by Traci Hunter Abramson - read Aug 9th
Crossed by Ally Condie - currently reading
Austenland by Shannon Hale (found out Palace of Stone doesn't even come out for a few weeks)
Twitterpated by Melanie Jacobson (The List sounds more interested but a friend loaned me this one)
Lemon Tart by Josi S. Kilpack (my friend loaned me this one too)
Dead Running by Cami Checketts - read Aug 7th

The exciting news is that I won a prize before I even finished my first book. I look forward to receiving Dispensation in the mail. It is an anthology of short stories by LDS authors, compiled and edited by Angela Hallstrom. And in choosing my prize, I found Dead Running, which I finished quickly. More points! Maybe I'll win another prize. Here are my reviews:

Dead Running by Cami Checketts
Dead Running
Goodreads Summary:
Cassidy Christensen is running.
Running from the mercenaries who killed her parents.
Running from a scheming redhead intent on making her life miserable.
Running from painful memories that sabotage her dreams of happiness.
With two very tempting men competing for her attention, she hopes she’ll finally have someone to run to, but can she trust either of them? When secrets from her past threaten her family, Cassidy decides to stop running and fight for her future.


My review:
I might give this 2.5 stars. It was quick and kind of fun, in a spy mystery/all the bad guys are chasing her kind of way. There was some fun romance and I was a bit inspired by the heroine's drive to train for the St. George marathon. The plot wasn't original and the writing wasn't anything special. I did like the main character, even if I thought her reactions were unrealistic sometimes.

I got this as a 99 cents Kindle download from Amazon, and found it through the blog ldspublisher.com. I am participating in their Summer Book Trek to read books by LDS authors. The church isn't mentioned anywhere in the book, but it was completely free of language and sex. There is just kissing and mentions of violence. Not explicit or gory, or even scary.


Freefall (Saint Squad, #1)Freefall by Traci Ambramson Hunter

Goodreads Summary:
Lieutenant Brent Miller arrived in the Middle East with one objective--get seven hostages out of a hostile country. The plan almost worked. But now he has been left behind--with one of the hostages. It's up to Brent to get Amy Whitmore, a US Senator's daughter, across miles of desert to safety. What he doesn't know is that to survive, he needs her as much as she needs him.

My review:
This book was enjoyable and nostalgic for me. I used to read stuff like this in junior high. The spy thriller/terrorist type of book, with some LDS people thrown in. It is good, clean fun for me. I liked the format of action, romance, action - not too intense, but not boring. I was glad that both of the main characters were LDS, otherwise it gets a too unrealistic to me. This book was neither original, or fabulously written, but I liked it and will read more of the series.

There was no sex or language, and the violence was minimal and completely vague.

1 comments:

Susan said...

It's hard to find really good LDS fiction. So much of it is just mediocre. *Sigh*