Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Book Challenge

I haven't posted much on this blog in 2012, and much of it has been of the crafty variety. But I still love to read and do quite a bit of it. Despite my not mentioning it here, I always list and give a brief review of every book I read (even the embarassing ones) on Goodreads. You can find my lists there. But it's time for me to bring back some posts about literature, good and bad. Here are some of my favorites from this year:

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
I really liked this book, even though it took just a little bit longer to get into it than most of the fiction I read. It is more serious and made me think more than most of the fluff I read too. And the writing was beautiful, that certainly pulled me in from the beginning. I found myself re-reading entire paragraphs just for the way the words flowed and made me feel. I don't read writing of this caliber nearly often enough.
The first half of the book takes place in Minnesota & Manaus, Brazil, the second half deep in the Amazon rainforest. The characters are imperfect, but compelling. The whole thing is very Heart of Darkness, but somehow lighter without losing the impact.
Cautions: an occasional swear word and mentions of sex (sometimes completely pointless) without details. also some native drug use.

Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack #2) by

Read #1 first, Bloody Jack. That Jacky just charmed me again with her enthusiasm & love for others. I enjoyed reading about her adventures as a fine lady just as much as being a sailor. I was much more heartbroken at the end though, when she moves on. I'm really enjoying this series but am a little worried about them keeping up the high standards as the books keep coming.
















Post image for 2012 Summer Book Trek
We've spent a lot of time in Pinetop, AZ this summer, enjoying the fabulous weather, and I've had plenty of time to catch up on books. Not that I really need the encouragement, but I heard about a book reading challenge from my friend Susan's blog. (Hopefully all readers of this blog know that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, sometimes known as Mormons or LDS.) The LDS Publishers blog is hosting a Summer Book Trek to read books by LDS authors in August. They don't have to be about LDS topics or people, just written by an author who is LDS. You can read all about the details by clicking on the button to the right. And apparently they even have prizes, which sounds fun. You can join too! There are plenty of lists of authors and suggestions on their website.

Here's the list of books I'm planning to read in August:

Freefall by Traci Hunter Abramson
Crossed by Ally Condie
Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
The List by Melanie Jacobson
Lemon Tart by Josi S. Kilpack

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining the 2012 Summer Book Trek. Happy reading!

Susan said...

Yay! I'm glad you're joining. I love challenges like this that are just fun and flexible, you know?

BTW: I have copies of THE LIST and LEMON TART, if you want to borrow them.