Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Much Anticipated Lip Product Debate

At long last! My favorite lip products. I am obsessed with finding the perfect chapstick/lip balm/lip tint. It should keep me moisturized, have just the right amount of shine, last all day, and come in several flattering colors. A tall order I know - I just keep looking and that's half the fun. There are so many products out there and while I obviously haven't tried them all, I've tried more than most people so here is my list.



Avon Care Deeply Lip Balm. In my opinion the best all purpose chapstick around. I've been using it for 15 years, get 10-15 in my stocking every year, and keep one in every bag and most rooms of the house. If they made it in tinted form I'd be set - but it's great over lip stains and such. $1 from Avon.com or your friendly neighborhood Avon lady



Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers. I know this is a favorite of many but it has peppermint or something in it and is just a bit strong for me. I could probably get used to it if I perservered. I didn't like the first color (nutmeg) I had as much as the second (rhubarb). About $4 everywhere Burt's Bees is sold (like everywhere nowadays)


Savannah Bee Company Beeswax Lip Tint in Blackberry. The comes awfully close to being perfect. Yummy scent, great chapstick feel, good color, but doesn't stay on as long as I would like (just like chapstick). Comes in 3 other colors too, (I own them all), but I like blackberry best. $5 at Bath and Body Works


Loreal Colour Juice Stick. This is just plain old lipstick, but it feels like very soft and wonderful chapstick. Hence my love for it. I've always been a fan of Loreal cosmetics and skin care. Unfortunately I don't wear mine much because I don't like the color I picked, sweet papaya, too bright pink. I need to get another one soon. $9.50 everywhere, but I'll wait for my grocery store to have it half off



Almay hydracolor. I saw ads for this in dozens of magazines and finally tried it since it's cheap. Still a lipstick to me but truly hydrated. Your lips feel like they are wet, nice and cooling for summer. And since it's a lipstick it lasts longer than chapstick. Not kiss proof. Like $3.50 on sale at my grocery store.



Aloe Lips by Sarah Cosmetics. This one has a pretty funny story involving Aaron's grandmother, which I won't tell. This lip product looks like the cheapest dime store stuff you can find, is housed in a plastic black and clear case, and come in crazy colors like green and blue - mine is gold. But they are color changing lipsticks, which means what you see is not what you get. Harder to find a shade, but supposedly they adapt to you and your coloring. I can attest that it looked much different on Grandma than on me. And the miracle of this stuff is that it lasts like all day long. I can apply chapstick over it for moisture. I have been wanting to order another color from their website but am stymied by how to choose a color. $5 for the plastic case or $12 for the fancy, 2 tone aluminum tube (don't forget the shipping, which was over $5) I might ask Aaron's aunt in Texas to get some more for me to save on shipping.

Neutrogena MoistureShine Soothing LipSheers. Another frequently advertised product. I like the SPF 20, sheer color, and the hint of sparkle (seriously just a hint). I am pleased with my shade choice, which I can't share since I can't find mine. They are lighter than you think. They have a cool, peppermint flavor - which I like tons better than the Burt's Bees, not as strong.


C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Tint. This is the only lip gloss I'm going to include because I like the mint (for fresh breath they say), the sheer color, the not-too-bad stickiness, and the price ($5). Available at Bath & Body Works.


I have been wanting to try the following products, please comment if you know anything about them:


Neutrogena Moisture MoistureShine Tinted Lip Balm. What's with the super long names for Neutrogena? SPF 20 $6.50

Kiehls Lip Balm with SPF 15. Love the sunscreen. Wonder if this is really balm, as it comes in a squeeze tube. $8.50

Revlon Colorstay Soft & Smooth Lipcolor. I love soft and smooth - plus it supposedly stay on for hours and hours due to SoftFlex TM. $10 but I've read great reviews of it.

Clinique Superbalm Tinted Lip Treatment. Another balm in a squeeze tube, hmmmmm? Pricier at $11.50 I usually like Estee Lauder better than Clinique, but Shannon tells me they are the same company.

Propoline Lip Aid by Apivita (carried at B&BW, $5.50). I tried this in the store and liked it - will probably buy one of the 3 colors before too long.


I can't freaking believe how many hours I have spent on this post. These companies should be paying me to endorse their stuff! Please leave a comment on these products or others that you love.

9 comments:

Susan said...

I am a lip balm junkie, too, but I haven't tried nearly this many products. Wow. My favorite lip balms are plain old ChapStick and the Vaseline stuff that comes in a tube. I've tried the Burt's Bees stuff and, I agree, it's got something in it that burns. As for tinted gloss, I love Lancome's jelly tubes. They're long lasting and shiny. The only thing I don't like about the product is that my hair sticks to my lips when I wear it. I don't touch lipstick - I can never get it on right. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Thanks for the recommendations!

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the low down on all those products you hear/read about but don't want to buy without a personal recommendation! You know I'm a Burt's fan -- I'm not ready for bed (or the day) without it -- but you've got me smacking my lips for something new . . .

BTW, the other reason I love Burt's is that the company practices free market environmentalism. They use profits to purchase land they want preserved and do a much better job preserving it than the feds. I couldn't ask for more from a lip balm!

Marcy said...

Shannon was right about you liking lip stuff! So, I'm a chicken when it comes to choosing make-upy things by myself. I almost always buy the wrong colors (thereby spending money on something I end up using only once) and hate it when lipsticks rub off on clothes or kids' faces, so I don't usually go for tints. You mentioned one of these isn't kissable. So are all the other ones?

shannon said...

dude! you should write for one of those beauty magazines. if they had such normal, intelligent writers writing such informative, interesting and relevant reviews, i might actually buy and read a magazine. (i mean besides the trashy ones i devour at the dentist).

my only contribution to this discussion is that i love chapstick (cherry-flavored) and also clinique (since they are the same company and the estee lauder half is for OLD LADIES) lipstick-- Bamboo Pink to be precise. (it's a pretty brown pink). clinique's is the most moist lipstick i've ever worn (of the many, many (at least 2) different kinds i've tried :) )

whoa--girly overload. i think i'll go write about politics and abortion on my site.

i love you!! hey, could i get a review about powder -- i'm looking a little shiny in some of my pictures. preferably a powder with spf 60 and on that'll take care of my complexion problems too?

Anonymous said...

I am also a lip balm aficianado, but I prefer the non-colored types. When I want color I do use the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers (Nutmeg), I actually enjoy the mint burn. :P I also like Carmex for that, and I have the Savannah Mint one, again for the "burn." I'm always tempted to try new lip balms, but my favorites are Bonne Belle Lipsmackers, the Skittles flavors. I have lip balm stashed everywhere: my pocket, my purse, medicine cabinet, nightstand, kitchen drawer. I must have it accessible at all times. :P

Marie

June Cutoff Cash said...

I was riveted to every word of this post. Why do we get so excited about lip gloss?

I noticed no one had written in about the Kiehl's product you had pictured. I tried them, and they were too gloppy and slidey for me. Too much gloss in the gloss, know what I mean?

I really like that Rosebud Lip Balm. It comes in a round tin and it's pretty cheap. They sell it at fancy beauty supply stores, and then again I found it for $3 at an Amish general store. As long as you don't mind having to put gloss on your finger, it's good.

June Cutoff Cash said...

Goodness, I AM sorry to hog your comments, but I just looked it up and if anyone cares, my lip balm of choice is technically called Smith's Rosebud Salve.

tarable said...

June - I am so excited and honored that you read anything on my humble little blog. I have been reading yours for a week or 2 and think your writing style is the best around! Hilarious and very real life conversational. And I like how you write about things that seem trivial to some people, but are really very important (like beauty products, tv shows, etc.). How do people not get this! I'm going to add your link to my list, hope that's ok.

tarable said...

June - forgot to say thanks for the info on Kiehls - haven't tried their stuff much because I don't often make it into the fancy stores that carry the line, although I wish I did. I have been meaning to try the rosebud salve for years and they do sell it all over the place now. Next time I see it...