Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fight the Frump with Bling

Time again for Fight the Frump with Fussy. This week I'm talking about bling. Actually I'm not sure I'm the kind of person who uses the word "bling." Basically I'm talking about jewelry. I'm reminded of the movie, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. Kate's character calls her bling frosting. I like the sweets reference.

Anyway, one easy way to fight the frump - once you've established the habit of showering, wearing cute clothes that fit, and fixing your hair and make-up - is to accessorize. If you're like me you have a jewelry box full of earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings that haven't seen the light of day (or night) in many moons. Pull those babies out! I've been trying to remind myself to grab a few things before I head out the door. Especially my wedding rings. It only takes a few seconds and can make a big difference. I think earrings, because they are next to your face, can make the biggest impact, but hey - if you want to draw attention to your chest with a fab necklace, do it with style! I like plainer pieces, favoring gold, silver, diamonds and pearls - even if they're fake. But it seems beaded jewelry is very popular now too. Fussy just posted some beautiful items. Find a few pieces that you truly love, hopefully that you already own, and remember to put on one or two of them on the next time you leave your house.

I've been coveting this Tiffany pendant for 4 years now. But it's $400.



I love the jewelry at Sundance.com. These silver studs are classic.

For more fabulous Fight the Frump tips, visit Fussy's blog.

13 comments:

Kendra said...

Ohhhh La-La! I just the bling....I also love that movie. Now I want to go out and buy new jewelry and watch How to Lose a Guy!
Happy Frump Fighting Friday.

Valarie Lea said...

I love classic jewelry. My hubby got me a diamond pendant a couple of years ago for Christmas, and I wear it with everything. Pearls, yep wear them too, of course those are fake though. :)

Darla said...

I just started "diggin" jewelry again. I've been getting Coldwater Creek brand from ebay (cuz their full retail price makes me squirm) and 4 pairs of cute earrings from fussy! May I never be blingless again. =)

Musings of a Housewife said...

I love simple jewelry too. I have been trying to get some colorful pieces for fun, but I still prefer my nicer, silver stuff.

Joy said...

I wear earrings every day- they are a must for me! And that pendant is cute- too bad it's so pricey!

Kristen said...

Bring on the BLING. That's pretty much my major contribution to fighting the frump. I don't wear a lot, but what I do is real, darling.

Marcy said...

Our younger sister makes her own beaded jewelry--all sizes of beads. A great way to get the color and style you want (if you have a good eye--which I'm not sure I do) for a great price!

Cindy Swanson said...

Totally agree with you, Tara! By the way, what a cool blog you have...this is the first time I've visited.

Anonymous said...

I can see why you've been wanting that Tiffany jewelry. It's so pretty.

Great post and great blog. I've really enjoyed reading it. :)

PhotoChick said...

What a good post! And so appropriate for me! I just cleaned out my 'junk' jewelry & have organized my good stuff so it's much easier to access. Now I'm working on building up my bling collection!

Again - great post. Happy Frump Fighting!!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I love jewelery. I have to be careful what I wear these days, as my 10 month old loves it too! But, you're right. The right accessories can really complete an outfit.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Great tips!

I almost always put on my wedding ring and watch because it makes me fell more together. Even if I just have on my jammies.

Anonymous said...

I think it is nice to have mix of fun and special. I actually double pierced my ears to have both (diamond studs and danglies)- shows how undecisive I am!