Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recipe Box Swap: 40 Cloves and a Chicken


Man, seems like I can't find the time to post these days unless I really make the effort for a blog carnival. But I've even missed the Works for Me Wednesdays for the last two weeks. I didn't want to skip this carnival though, The Recipe Box Swap, hosted by I Have To Say. Too bad she only has it every few weeks, but that's apparently all I can handle anyway.

This recipe is courtesy of Alton Brown, who is a favorite of Aaron's (okay, me too). Although when we watch I always feel stupid because Alton breaks out all the chemistry explanations and Aaron always understands better than me - even though I'm the one with a chemistry degree. Turns out Aaron has way more practical sense than me, who's suprised?

We love making this chicken when we're having people over, because it's so tasty and a little bit impressive. And key words - super easy. I will post the actual recipe here, but we often just used chicken quarters. Just use something with skin on, you'll get tons more flavor. Don't forget to cover the dish - I forgot once and it was kind of dry.

40 Cloves and a Chicken

1 whole chicken (broiler/fryer) cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
10 sprigs fresh thyme
40 peeled cloves garlic
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with a 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat. Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Yes, this is a classic. I love the fact that you can just throw some chicken, garlic, oil, and seasonings together, bake it and end up with a great meal. Thyme works best but other herbs work too (rosemary, sage, parsley). And I'm always surprised that the dish isn't super garlicy (is that a word?) and doesn't give you the killer breath.

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Well, Aaron, keep in mind that the people who've told you your breath is fine were probably a little biased. ;)

I am so glad you posted this finally. I have been wanting to try it, but even though "40 cloves and a chicken" sounds pretty self-explanatory, I like to have the step-by-step instructions, at least for the first time. (esp. since I am not super-comfortable with the meat cooking).

On the blogging and carnivals: I think this will be my new strategy -- to have 3 or 4 carnivals that I really like, whose topics actually inspire/motivate me, or are things I should be doing anyway (like fighting the frump and cooking -- though possibly not homemade oreos everyday).

Anonymous said...

Homemade oreos? I want the recipe!