Monday, March 14, 2011

Sprucing Up My Boring Shirts & Front Door

I still love my monthly craft group - this month we made some fabric flowers. I see these everywhere and they seem so easy to make, and so expensive to buy at a store or botique. And I was right, they cost maybe a dollar, and take 10-15 minutes each. There are so many tutorials out there, but we just made 2 kinds of flowers: folded pieces of felt or flannel glued to a circle backing, and acetate/polyester type fabric circles stacked together with burned edges. They can be made in many sizes and used for pins, hairclips, headbands, belts, wreaths, etc. Here are the ones I made to add a little variety to my boring, solid-colored wardrobe.


 
 


Then I decided to make some larger flowers out of spring-y fabric to embellish a yarn wreath for my front door. I chose some boucle suiting fabric with a large weave and when I cut out the larger flowers, they were a bit floppy so I sprayed them well with ironing starch & they worked perfectly. I've been wanting to make one of these yarn wreaths for a while & I like that I can add/change embellishments whenever I like. I just pinned these flowers on for now & can make it into something else later. That's one of the reasons I picked solid cream yarn.

0 comments: