Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why Did I Only Take Two?

We went on family vacation this week. A vacation we've been planning for five months and that took us North to lovely, cool Pinetop. And on the 1st day of that vacation my four year old started throwing up. And he didn't stop. On the 3rd day my three year old started too. I sighed a lot, stayed in while my sweet husband took the well kids out, did a lot of laundry, watched a lot of basketball, and wondered why on earth I only took two books on vacation. Why, oh why?

We made it home mostly in one piece, and I realized I haven't done a book review here for a while, although you can follow all my book reviews on Goodreads. So I though I'd recap some worthwhile things I've read lately.


Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
If you love mystery, action, intrigue, and great characterization you will enjoy this book. The plot is unique and intricate - it jumps beween two characters, who eventually come together as we start to see the bigger picture. Many secrets hang on until the end... to be revealed in the next book, Sapphique, which was great too.


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Another dystopian series - but I loved the characters, dialogue, emotion, and fast-action of this book. The 2nd book throws in some interesting plot twists, but is a little slower paced. I'll be checking out the 3rd soon.


My Life in France by Julia Child
I loved this partial biography and now I definitely want to see Paris, try much more French food, and get ahold of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. This book is full of interesting stuff about France, Europe, history, politics, relationships, and food! The writing was 1st person, journal style, and was a hodge podge of stories and anecdotes. It wasn't formal or fussy, just like Julia!


Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
A thoroughly charming novelette about a young girl who was raised in an orphanage and is sent to college by a secret, wealthy benefactor. The entire book is in letter form, as Judy writes to her Daddy Long Legs and tells him all about her studies and college life. I enjoyed the historical aspects, the simple straightforward writing, the light-hearted comedy, and the happy ending.



  

2 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Hope your sickies are feeling better. Nothing worse than being sick when away from home and out of your own comfort zone. Hope you got to enjoy some of your vacation.

I read "Daddy Longlegs" when I was younger. It was a good book. I'm thinking the Julia Child book sounds delightful.

Nancy Pitney said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I finally updated my book review blog too! Now I know where to go to find more books to read!