Friday, March 28, 2008

Fight the Frump: Skirt the Issue

It's Friday and time for this fabulous blog carnival with Mrs. Fussypants. Check out all the tips here.

One way I love to fight the frump during the summer, which is nine months long here in Arizona, is to wear a lot of skirts. There's just something about wearing a skirt that says, "I wore this on purpose. I didn't just throw on whatever was on top of the pile." I love that skirts can be dressed up or down depending on the top and shoes you wear. And I love that skirts allow for cool breezes to reach all your nether regions. I wore a lot of skirts while I was pregnant in Florida and have been a believer ever since.

I favor the cotton version, regular or stretchy knit, for comfort and versatility - but other fabrics are great too. I love thelook of linen but there's that whole ironing thing. Dress up your favorite skirt with a nice blouse and heels, or keep it casual with your favorite tee and flip flops.

Last week when Shannon was here she wore a great brown, knit skirt. We also hit Costco and ended up splitting a 2-pack of knit pants that I will use for PJs and exercising. Shannon wore them the next day and somehow they looked like different pants on her, very non-frumpy. Of course she looks better than me in almost everything. Including the several items of clothing that looked great on me one or two kids ago, which I passed on to her. Just doing my part to fight the frump.

Here is a sampling of skirts I found on the internet in just a few minutes this afternoon. They aren't particular favorites of mine, but I liked them all - they come from many different price ranges. Skirts come in so many different styles - find one that works for you!

9 comments:

Daisy said...

I agree - a skirt almost always makes you feel pulled together - probably I don't wear one as often as I should because I don't like to stick to the seats in my car - you know what I am talking about! LOL...

Texasholly said...

I love a good skirt. It took a while to make the transition, but now I am hooked. They looks so much better then mommy shorts.

Valarie Lea said...

Great post! I love skirts for just those reasons.

Daisy said...

Me again!! Today I went and purchased a cute little A-line skirt largely because of this very post!! Thanks!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

You're right -- great minds do think alike! :) I wholeheartedly agree. Skirts are THE way to go, in the summer especially. Great post!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Hmm, I'll try this again.

You're right about skirts. They're great! I've been eyeing a few at my regular haunts (read Target and Walmart). Perhaps when I'm shopping by myself I'll have to try them on.

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I love denim skirts. And these are all great lengths.

I also love the green leafy skirt in your post. gorgeous, springy! Makes me happy just looking at it.

Amy said...

I love skirts, but only wear them in the summer. They are modest and make you look so pulled together! I try to keep things casual with the flip flop and t-shirt combination.

I have found some of my favorite skirts at our thrift store!!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved skirts and am a man , i wear them as often as i can.