Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Best Eighties Love Songs, EVER

I have a mix CD with this title: The Best 80s Love Songs Ever! These songs were near & dear to my heart during those formative junior high years. I fell asleep every night with my headphones on and my walkman tuned to 99.9, The Affection Connection, with Karla Foxx. I was always dreaming of my one true love, whomever that might be at the moment. When I heard a song I liked, I would write it down on a little square of paper that soon became filled with titles and artists. I still have that paper somewhere. Over the years stand-out favorites rose above the one-hit wonders and I came up with a list of the best. Here's my top 13, in no particular order.


1. When I'm With You- by Sheriff. I remember hearing on the radio that the last note of the song holds the record for the longest-held not. Or something like that. This song reached #1 in 1989.


2. Faithfully - by Journey, 1983. This song might be on everyone's top 13 list, even though they topped out on the charts at #12. And Journey is still touring! I'm throwing Open Arms in here too, as it's on my mix CD. It was on the 1981 Escape album, which scored three #1 singles, including Open Arms.


3. I Can't Fight This Feeling - by REO Speedwagon. This hit #1 in 1985. This was the song dedicated to any boy that I was friends with first. Including (much later) my husband! And it's eternally dedicated to him now!

4. Every Breath You Take - by The Police, 1983. According to Billboard, this was the #1 song for 1983. No question why.


5. After All - by Peter Cetera. This was a duet with Cher that came out as a movie soundtrack in 1989. My friends and I repeatedly watched this movie, Chances Are, which featured this song as a major part of the story line. Starring Robert Downey, Jr., Cybill Shepherd, Ryan O'Neal, and Mary Stuart Masterson - if you haven't seen this, get to Blockbuster right now!


6. Take My Breath Away - by Berlin. This song is the ultimate for sexy and sultry, I love the slow beat. And of course, was made popular by Top Gun. I didn't see Top Gun until I was in college (mid 90s) but this song hit #1 in 1986, when the movie came out.

7. Right Here Waiting - by Richard Marx. Ahh, this was the ultimate song during the "TRB ♥s RJP Forever" phase. Which lasted about four years, a long time for teenagers. Richard Marx had a slew of top 10 hits in the late 80s - this song was on the 1989 Repeat Offender album, which had three #1 hits!


8. Crazy For You - by Madonna. This is my favorite song by Madonna, it has always made me melt. I guess I loved it at the time because I went to every Saturday Night Dance for the 14-year-olds and I dreamed of having this kind of chemistry with someone. This song hit #1 in 1985, along with almost every song Madonna put out in the mid 80s. Superstar!


9. All I Need - by Jack Wagner. Reached #2 in 1985. Apparently Jack Wagner was a soap opera star before he came out with one album. He was on General Hospital, Santa Barbara, Melrose Place, and The Bold and the Beautiful. I had no idea. I still like this song.


10. Babe - by Styx. This song actually came out in 1979 - but hit #1 in 1980. I was three. I have loved this song since the first time I heard it and it seems impossible for people not to sing along when it's on the radio.

11. Forever Young - by Alphaville. According to Billboard, this song (from a 1984 album of the same name) reached 32 on the "Hot Dance Music/Club Play" Chart. And then in 1988 it reached 65 on The Billboard Hot 100. I can't believe it never made it into the top 10! This is a staple of 80s songs, full of nostalgia and meaning for almost everyone. It certainly makes my top 13.


12. When I See You Smile - by Bad English. Bad English was made up of an ex-Journey member, John Waite, who did that awesome song Missing You ('84), and a bunch of other guys. When I See You Smile was their first single, and hit #1 in 1989. Their second album was a flop and they split up. But left us this great song!


13. Groovey Kind of Love - by Phil Collins. This one gets me right in the heart and I always want to close my eyes and sing at the top of my voice. And usually do. A #1 hit in 1988, this song was part of 13 straight songs to hit the Top Ten for Collins. That's some good music.


Honorable Mentions:


Lady in Red - by Chris DeBurgh. #3 in 1987, he wrote it himself

Hands to Heaven - by Breathe. #2 in 1988

The Search is Over - by Survivor. #4 in 1985

Sometimes When We Touch - by Dan Hill. smash hit in 1977 but still playing in the 80s!

Endless Love - by Lionel Richie & Diana Ross. #2 overall for 1981.


What Are Your Favorites?
Check out other Thursday 13 posts here.

12 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Oh, how I love Lady in Red. Or, at least my memories associated with that song, even if the boy I loved at the time DID turn out to be gay.

Still disappointed that Jesse's Girl didn't make the cut. Unrequited love is so beautiful. (not.)

Anonymous said...

Man!! That is so cool! So many of those songs bring back memories!!!

VERY cool TT!

Yasmin said...

happy tt and i heart endless love and every breath you take!

Anonymous said...

I can't even pick a favorite, but I loved the trip down memory lane. Great list!

Anonymous said...

Ok so I may have only been born in 1984, but I can appreciate music from any time. #6 BEING MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!!!! But great list. Happy TT and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Excellent list! I remember every one of those songs (and sung some of them very badly into my hairbrush while thinking of "him") lol!

YellowRose said...

Talk about a flashback!! Loved these songs! We had "Endless Love" in our wedding...awwww

Happy TT!

Donna said...

Ah, yes, all my teen angst in one post...

That is a great list.

Anonymous said...

I'm more retro so I'm into the 50s and 60s but here's one I really liked in the 80s:

Up Where We Belong, Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes - I have always loved Joe Cocker's whiskey stained voice and I liked the movie An Officer and a Gentlemen.

Happy TT from another woman with a "bounty of diverse interests and responsibilities"!

My TT: 13 Clean Comedians from my Youth

Robyn said...

Very good list of 80s. I would have had to add in a some Air Supply. Yep, I was that cheesy.

Candice said...

Oh yeah, what good memories those songs bring back. I have to agree with your list and add a few: Chicago and Air Supply (when I hear their songs today I think of how sappy they are!)

Somebody by Depeche Mode

Billy Joel songs (I was a huge fan)

Most of the Journey songs

Bed of Roses by BonJovi

Everything I do by Bryan Adams (totally a Sat. night dance song!)

If I Could do Anything for Love by Meatloaf (I even bought the piano music to this song and tried to learn it)
and my #1 favorite back then: Love of a Lifetime by Firehouse (I even considered that for our first dance at our wedding reception, YIKES! That would have been funny!)

And back then I HATED country and swore I would never like it......I guess tastes change with the growing years!

You are giving me a great idea, I want to make an 80's mix on my ipod. Now all I need is to track down all those songs!

Anonymous said...

I love Journey! Faithfully is definitely my all-time favorite song. I'm absolutely obsessed with them. I recently (Aug. 7, 2008) went to one of their concerts in Nashville, TN, and it was amazing. Their new new lead singer, Arnel Pineda, really does them justice.