Friday, August 22, 2008

If It Doesn't Look Like Poop, and It Doesn't Smell Like Poop...

We interrupt the normally glamorous and interesting posts here at The Well-Rounded Woman for a poop update. If you're not interested in poop or are easily grossed out, please feel free to skip this post or click away now.

I glanced into the family room where I saw some smears of dark brown on the wood floor, which I assumed to be chewed up bits of the raisins I had just given my 2yo. When I went to clean it up, I was distracted by the ... um... fat, hamburger-patty shaped loaf of brown stuff on the rug about two feet away. I said, "What the heck is that?" And I actually scooped the whole glob up with my fingers. The thought of poop had crossed my mind, of course, with two boys in diapers. But I had glanced at the sitting baby and hadn't seen any signs of poop, so I thought I was safe.

I tested the texture with my fingers, and smelled it several times. It didn't feel like poop. It didn't smell like poop. I was still trying to figure it out while I walked to the trash can with it. Then the baby went to all fours and I saw a wet spot on his rear end that was a perfect match to the size of my mystery goo. I was pretty much freaking out at this point, having just touched poop. A lot. And sure enough, there was lots more goo in the baby's diaper.

The moral of this story is - even if it doesn't look like poop, and it doesn't smell like poop, if it's coming out of your baby's rear end - IT'S POOP!

4 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I'll take (but not touch!!) non-smelly poop any day. Lucy's is toxic and sticks to her bum like tar. Maybe it's the taffies and grapes she's been downing?

by: Brian and Lacey McKay said...

OMG! I almost peed my pants reading this! I just found your link on my cousin's blog. I can totally relate because my 2yo has been having odorless, black, formless poops lately that I'm not sure would be recognizable outside of a diaper. She drinks a lot of chocolate Ovaltine...

Lori said...

TOOO funny. sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but it is funny. Good times. Something that all moms everywhere have had the blessing of finding "mystery" smears somewhere, at sometime of child rearing. I just hope that my boys don't cause me to do that ever EVER again!!

Candice said...

Nasty! Oh the life of being a mom! I thought you were going to say something about how Emmett was potty-training and he decided to take off his diaper and go poop on the floor and he was the culprit.