Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here's a tip

The real tip is at the end, but the best tip I can give you today is to not let your two-year-old monkey near your unprotected, expensive car seat.

We are at the crossroads of car seat-ville - my baby is turning one and moving up from his infant seat, and my almost three-year-old is ready for a booster seat. Kind of. He actually has a hard time staying in one and we're wavering between buying him a booster or a larger seat with a 5-point harness.

Yesterday I took the car seat out of the car and washed the cover, leaving the undersides exposed. There is styrofoam attached to the plastic frame behind the back and head. And my monkey tore half the styrofoam off, in one big chunk. I was understandably upset and sent him to his room before I could do worse damage to his little person.


I figured I'd do a quick patch job and glue it back in and the the cover would help keep it in place. I used my never-fail Superglue. I love that stuff. I stuck it in a few places on the car seat frame and all over edges of the two pieces. I put the styrofoam back in place and held it for a bit. Then I dripped it all across the seam between the pieces. And a minute later screamed (again) because as it turns out - Superglue melts styrofoam.


Superglue is good for a lot of things, but as the package clearly states, it is not to be used on polyethylene or pholypropylene, which is what styrofoam is. So my tip - read packages! And never use Superglue on styrofoam.

For more useful tips, check out Works For Me Wednesday.

17 comments:

Amy said...

Ack - that's horrible! But I probably would have done the same thing. Who would of ever thought that it would melt styrofoam?

Nikki said...

EEK! I would've never thought that myself. Superglue IS very handy. I will keep that in mind though. And I can TOTALLY see that happening at my house- from the two year old experimenting to me supergluing it. Thanks for the tip! =P

Anonymous said...

Oh, your life sounds a lot like mine! I could so picture this entire scenario happening to me!

Dave Roller said...

That reminds me of that song form the 80's I melt with styrofoam.

Kate @ A Simple Walk said...

I definitely would have used the superglue too in that situation. Good to know for when my kids do that, which I' sure they will at some point.

Kristin - The Goat said...

I would have used Velcro lol It seems like I'm always needing to Velcro something -- but I did know about the melting properties of styrofoam -- that happens when you use Hot Glue, too.

This is an excellent tip - because who ever reads the package directions.

Have a Great Day!
Kristin (The Goat)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm smarter now thanks to your blog! I would have gone for the superglue in a heartbeat!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no. :) I never read packages either. Live and learn works, but boy are there some catastrophes along the way. Cute post.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Good info to know!

Traci Best said...

Oh NO! That sounds like something that would have happened to me! Thanks for bringing that to our attention! I'm sure your tragedy will save some other poor unsuspecting soul from the same fate! :)

I'll be praying for a really good sale on JUST the RIGHT carseat for you!!! :)

Trace

Kari said...

Love the tip. We have the tall boosters that allow the seatbelt. They like to have something to lean their head on.

Kristen said...

Wow, who knew! Okay, those who read the package knew, but I'd have been in the same boat as you. Superglue is supposed to glue everything!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I would have never known that either. Thanks for the tip!

Unknown said...

I would have done the same thing, because I have no idea what polypro-whatever is. Hope you got it fixed!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds like something I would do! I tend to move past the directions without a glance. :-)
-Kim

Former Fat Chick said...

superglue does not work well on pourus surfaces either...try rubber glue, the one that looks like boogers :)

Candice said...

Good to know! I"m sure glad you figured this out before I had to.