Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Save a few pennies & trees


I subscribe to a lot of magazines, and my favorite is Martha Stewart Living. I've been saving my issues since 2003 because they are classic. Recipes and home management tips never go out of style, and even the decorating schemes favored by MSL seem to stay fresh and current. It suits my style. Unfortunately, a subscription to MSL runs a little more than other things and this year when it came time to renew, I kept the cash in my pocket. For January, instead of receiving a lovely new issue in the mail, I pulled out the January issues from 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2008. I could skim through them much faster, since I've read them in the past, so it didn't take any more time than reading a new issue. And I remembered many of the great features, things I had wanted to revisit anyway. Check out some of these great articles.


I'm making these darling pillows for my couch. It just so happens that pillows are the first project for my sewing class (on my list of 32 things to do before 33), which starts this Saturday. I have already purchased some great fabric.




There are plenty of yummy recipes in my old issues, including 12 for a feature, A Year of Cakes! Cakes are my weakness. I've already made this cardamom cake, since I love cardamom. It was not as good as I had hoped. I will try the Meyer lemon cake next. Once all my sick babies get better I would like to make this lasagna bolognese, which I actually made when this issue came out, 5 years ago. It was delicious, but a lot of work - possibly an every 5 years occurrence. Maybe after that I'll try some of these curries.






Also - I believe this is a picture of what my mud room is supposed to look like. You know, if I had a mudroom. Someday I will.





But for now I'm happy to save some money this year by skipping my magazine subscription. I'll put it toward my mudroom. And I'm always happy to save a few trees.


For more tips and tricks, visit Works For Me Wednesday.

14 comments:

Tom Johnson said...

I like to read magazines at the library and in the checkout line and at the hairdresser's. Can't bring myself to pay for them, but I enjoy 'em when they're free!

Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love Martha Stewart Mag- I got tired of storing all my oldies though so I tore out the "good stuff" and the yummy looking recipes and put them in a binder- much more compact, if not quite as much fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Get a free subscription here. http://www.rewardsgold.com/mags/ms_living_em/sg_ms_living_pg1.htm

Upstatemamma said...

That is a really good idea. At my house magazines always end up torn to bits to make collages out of. :)

Rebecca Irvine said...

I have a lot of old MSL magazines too. And a lot of Family Fun ones as well. I use the back issues often and am hesitant to throw them away as a result.

Unknown said...

This is really a great idea! You not only save money but you can get inspired to do things you wanted to do when you read those issues the first time!

Traci Best said...

Excellent idea! Gotta love Martha!

Traci ;)

Lynn said...

I had about 5 years of Martha saved. I finally went through them and tore out or copied what I wanted. Then I gave them to my friends. They are now passing them around to each other. I love that they are getting so much use.

Anonymous said...

I am a MSL and Everday Food collector too. Its hard to recycle them cause I might need them one day :) What a wonderful idea with not renewing. I decided to not renew just to stop getting so many but didn't think about doing this!

Susie said...

I LOVE MSL!! She is my favorite. I used to keep full issues until the storage became uncontrolable. So, I tear out the things that I am interested or inspired by. Then, I file these sheets in page protectors in binders. Love it!!

By the way, that cake article has inspired lot's of my cakes and so, I think it is the best of all time.

Kristin - The Goat said...

I love Martha, too - and have had a subscription on and off through the years -- I was actually a charter member ooooh so many eons ago. I agree, that homekeeping tips rarely go out of style. You are SO clever to reread the ones you already have. Good for you.

Love your future mudroom!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I don't subscribe to the magazine, but I do visit her website some. It has a lot of great ideas.

PS - I wish I had a mudroom too! Instead I've created space in our front room closet for coats, shoes, and bags. It's a pretty good alternative!

Dave Roller said...

Not into Martha, but the idea is a good one for other magazines.

Robyn said...

I'm in the process of scanning all my old MSL articles. First I pulled them out and categorized them into binders. Then I thought it was a huge waste of space, so now I am scanning them all for posterity. I just can't let good ideas get away!