Tuesday, January 13, 2009

If I Had a Little Money

A trip to Target for 1 utilitarian item was almost the death of me the other night. Those Target marketing gurus place the handbags and accessories right as you walk in the door and they just beckon to me every time I visit. Since I was by myself for once, I decided to just browse through. And let me tell you, if you have a little money to spend - and I do mean just a little - Target can make you happy.


Remember that I am saving every penny for a new iPod Touch to replace the one with the 5-day lifespan. But if I wasn't, I would have spent a little of my mad money on a new bag at Target. I think they have a great selection of bags, and have been thrilled with the last one I bought. Right now there is a HUGE batch of clearance handbags and accessories so I thought I would post just a few of my favorites.








I am loving the pops of yellow - anxious for spring, I guess. Or at least spring colors. I am glad to know that in a month or two I'll be able to find some lovely yellow accent pieces for a decent price. Of course the things I was most tempted by are un-find-able online, but here are the lookalikes I found online (for $240 and $395):




In reality it was an Xhiliration black envelope clutch for $20. It looks a lot like the first picture, but had silver accents like the second. Very classic.
I actually found the beret in winter white & loved it. And for the low, low price of $3.24 I certainly could have worked it into my budget. I was just worried about working it into my wardrobe. Sometimes I am tempted to buy for the style I want to have, rather than the one I do. Or maybe I mean the lifestyle I want to have. Moms of three little ones who don't always get a shower every day and who live in sunny Arizona don't often get to wear cute berets in winter white. But maybe someday. I do want to start editing my wardrobe and begin buying more for the style I want to have, and the person I want to become (style-wise). I recently read a couple books on this - look for reviews soon!

For more shopping tips, and others, visit Works For Me Wednesday.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Target rocks! I really love that grey and yellow bag. And the gloves. Very nice. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved your comment that you sometimes buy for the style you want to have, not the one you do have.
Amen!
I have many items that have found their way into my life by wishing it would work with my other clothes or lifestyle.
Good job on the restraint! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! The bags and purses beckon to me every time I go in Target too! It is dangerous if you are trying to save money!

Anonymous said...

I was at Target myself today looking at all the clearence items! It was fun...love your picks!

-Kim

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I do not get the clutch. What's the point? Isn't the point of having a purse that you put stuff in it so you don't have to HOLD IT IN YOUR HANDS?

ARGH.

I loved berets when I was in high school. Tracey and Melinda and I wore them (in winter white, even) to a girls choice dance -- the one I took Christian's older (and much hotter :)) brother to.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

I love it- a beret in Arizona ;-) But I do love your tips and I for one rarely pass by the handbags at Target without buying one off the clearance racks!

Megan said...

Berets are for Monica and Prince songs. Leave them on the shelf...especially in AZ. :)

MediMonsters said...

I love Target!! Can always count on a great clearance deal!! You can also look online at the accessories clearance--they usually have pages and pages of purses/bags.

Sarah said...

It looks like you had fun 'window shopping' at target ~ that's one thing I loved about France. If you timed it right, all the stores would be closed, and you could window shop all you wanted without the temptation of actually buying anything!

Jerralea said...

I'm thinking a yellow bag would cheer me up this winter!

Thanks for sharing!

Audra Krell said...

Hi Tara,
Love this great post on fun handbags from Target. I hear ya on Beret. People just don't understand that we had that one day two weeks ago when we could have worn a Beret. Alas, spring is here....

Former Fat Chick said...

I have a beret like that...every time I wear it people tell me I look like Monica Lewinsky....my hubs laughs and says I WISH *hahaha*