Thursday, June 19, 2008

Product Review: Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler

I think one of the easiest and fastest ways to make myself look better and to resist looking like a frumpy housewife is to curl my eyelashes and wear mascara.

I have been reading about the Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler for years - it is always a favorite in the fashion magazines "best of" and "reader's favorites" types of polls. I have been using a Maybelline eyelash curler for about twelve years - and I mean the same one. I bought the little replacement pads, but haven't been able to find them for a couple years now and let's just say I've been risking a myriad of possible eye infections lately. I finally decided to bite the $19 bullet this spring and try a new curler, especially when I found out most other brands are like $15 anyways.

I use an eyelash curler every time I wear mascara, which is unfortunately not everyday. But if I don't curl my lashes they tend to stick straight out from my face, and when you look at me from eye-level it looks like I am lashless, even when I wear mascara. When I first bought my Maybelline curler back in high school I remember squeezing for two or three seconds and being happy with the results. Fast forward to last month - ten seconds, twelve second, okay, I guess that'll have to do.

My sweet sil offered to watch all three of my kids one Friday so I could have some "me" time. My busy mother rearranged her schedule to go shopping with me and we hit a great new outdoor shopping center, with Sephora my top stop. After examining the Shu Uemura curler and comparing it to the other brands and asking the well-made-up shop girls I just grabbed the box and ran to the counter. Then my mom suprised me by paying for it with an exclamation of Happy Mother's Day. Yes, she's that kind of mother - thanks Mom!

When I opened up my new gift at home it took me a minute to figure out the new angle, which was a lot different than my old one. And just like the make-up girl at Sephora said, it is much wider and actually grabs all my lashes at once. One squeeze and I was converted. It only takes a second or two and my lashes just curled skyward and I felt transformed. (Luckily I do mascara very last in my make-up routine.) I will never go back to Maybelline, which is good because I'm not sure they're still making eyelash curlers. And even though $19 is more than I generally spend on a beauty product, if I amortize the price over ten years or so, I don't think even my husband can complain. Plus, weren't you paying attention? Mine was a gift! So toss your old curler, or vow to start using one, and head over to Sephora where a mere $19 separates you from heavenly lashes.

For other tips on how to Fight the Frump, check out Mrs. Fussypants.
The latest review I read about this curler was on Chic Critique. Written by June, it finally convinced me to go out and buy it!

7 comments:

Family O'Foxes said...

I've never tried one before. Mine already curl up...
anyway, I read somewhere if you "warm" up the eyelash curler it makes the curl last longer (with a blow dryer). not sure if it is true or not.
~Amy

Texasholly said...

That sounds pretty cool. I don't think $19 is too bad for something that you use everyday and won't run out!

Darla said...

This is a great tip for someone who has problem eyelashes. Mine curl easy and are long as long as I use the right mascara.

I have been using just a cheapie eyealsh curler for years. I almost tried a heated one but was too nervous (me and any type of appliance do not mix).

Glad you found something that works for you and for sharing it!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Sounds like a technique for Abu Ghraib, you ask me.

Aaron said...

Just to confirm, there have been no complaints filed by the huzband-dept. Plus, we LOVE transformed beautiful wives (and Transformers).

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Dang, I already commented. Wanted to say that I am still not going to curl my eyelashes. You can't make me!!

But I think you look LOVELY!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Very interesting! I've been contemplating buying it since June reviewed it. You might have me convinced to give it a try. I don't usually curl my lashes, but I'm sure I should.

thanks for playing along!