Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Throw Out Those Clippings

Hi, I’m Tara. I’m a magazine junkie. It's been three hours since my last periodical. I constantly have stacks of unread, partially read, and thoroughly read magazines on my nightstand, next to my computer, and on tables in my living room. I subscribe to five or sixbut often don’t have time to read some issues until the next one is already out. And I never want to throw them away until I have documented everything interesting. I keep back issues of Martha Stewart Living, but with all the others I would cut out things I liked or wanted to save, and keep a big stack of ripped out pages, cut out scraps, and tiny slips listing websites or stores I wanted to visit. Last Christmas I made my wish list the old fashioned way – pasted all my cut-outs from catalogues and magazines on pieces of paper and stapled my collages together before I gave them to my husband.

Then I discovered Kaboodle.com. Once you register at this free site you can add items from the internet and keep as many lists as you like, either public or private. I recommend the small download which adds a button to your navigation bar. Then whenever you’re surfing and find something you like, just click the Add to Kaboodle button and the site automatically saves a picture, description, and price of whatever you’re looking at. You can accept those, or change any yourself, and then add your own comments before saving your find to any of your lists. Once you hit okay you are automatically redirected back to whatever site you were on. And I appreciate that you can hit the back button and it’s as if Kaboodle was never even there, you just go back to the last page you were on at Amazon, Gap, Babies R Us, or whatever.

So now, when I find a few minutes to page through my magazines, I tear out my favorite things, look them up online, and save them to Kaboodle. And my crazy pile of cut-outs is getting smaller. Check out my list of beauty products to try.

For other tips check out Works for me Wednesday, at Rocks In My Dryer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. That's awesome! I love making lists. I know what I'll be doing for the next week. ;)

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I love the idea of having things online instead of around the house. I need a kaboodle site for interesting posts/articles, though, since I am not soooo interested in shopping- daydreaming. I guess the closest thing to this is StumbleUpon, which is similar to Kirtsy and Digg, but lets you build your own page of your fave articles.

Great tip.