Monday, September 8, 2008

Belts Can Make An Outfit

For about a year now I have been noticing the resurrection of the belt on the fashion scene. And it always looks so good on the models - those size 2 bastions of beauty would look good in almost anything. So I wondered if belts could work for me. Don't get me wrong, I spent the majority of my jr. high and high school years in jeans, tucked in tee shirts, and a wide, brown belt. But my tucking-in days are long gone, and have been replaced with what June calls, a marsupial pouch. Although I don't know that June can call her mostly flat tummy that, having never gone through mommy-hood. But it is such a fitting description. Nowadays, even though I'm not, I look like I'm pregnant. Except much lumpier. So is accenting my already scary waist a good idea?



There is a woman who goes to church with me who wears belts semi-regularly. She is not a size 2 (although definitely smaller than me). And I think they look fantastic! And on TLC's What Not To Wear, Stacy & Clinton are always telling people to accentuate their narrowest part. You can do that with a belt. So after hemming & hawing for months, I finally bought a belt and actually wore it out of my house. It's okay (I hope). Not great, but I don't think it makes me look worse (I hope). I know the picture is kind of awful, but let's just pretend I looked okay in real life. I will have to try some other outfits. I am posting some great, belted looks below. Click on the picture to go to the website. I might even try the tucked-in look with a high waisted skirt like the first picture. But I'm pretty sure you have a super-flat tummy to tuck-in with low-waisted pants. Although there are millions of chubby teens out there who disagree with me. I'm just glad you can get belts so affordably everwhere. I have been seeing them a lot at Target, Gap, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, etc.



Next I have a few excerpts from Lucky's website about adding belts. I especially like the first one with the vest because there is a before & after picture. The skinny belt at her natural waist looks SO much better.













And it doesn't look like belts are going out of style yet. I found some pictures from NY Fashion Week, showing all the Spring 2009 Collections. Left to right: Herve Leger for Max Azria, Diane von Furstenberg, Miss Sixty, Elie Tahari, BCBG Max Azria. I found all these pictures here.



Belts work for me!
For other Works For Me Wednesday tips, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cute outfit with the belt! Now I may have to go out and buy one- but should it fit the hips or waist?

Rebecca Irvine said...

I don't usually wear belts because I am short waisted and full-figured. This is an area for which I need a fashion consultant.

Can I get your blog book by tomorrow for that Enrichment lesson I am giving tomorrow night? Let me know. Becky

Jess B said...

"And on TLC's What Not To Wear, Stacy & Clinton are always telling people to accentuate their narrowest part. You can do that with a belt."

Well.....if this is the case, do you think it'd look good around my neck? That'd be my narrowest part. :)

I have the pouch, too (4 kids will do that...) and belts for fashion are something I gave up a long time ago. However, I think it looks nice on you. I might have to give it a try...

Wendy said...

I'm with Becky on being full figured/short waisted. The below-the-chest belts would never do for me. Tucking things in with a belt is something I have to be cautious about--haven't had success with a skirt yet, and jeans only when I'm a few pounds lighter. I wonder if the right dress or long sweater would work. Great links!

Wendy said...

I'm with Becky on being full figured/short waisted. The below-the-chest belts would never do for me. Tucking things in with a belt is something I have to be cautious about--haven't had success with a skirt yet, and jeans only when I'm a few pounds lighter. I wonder if the right dress or long sweater would work. Great links!

Johnna said...

I'm really glad you posted about this. I love belts but have been afraid to wear them since my I got so thick in the waist. Your illustrative picture is inspiring--the belt really makes your outfit!

Brooke said...

i've got several shirts that came with belts - i'm just too scare to try adding one to a shirt i already own. but it is a simple/cheap way to make an outfit more flattering and trendy all at the same time.

Mom2fur said...

I think you look very stylish! I was thinking of Stacy and Clinton when I saw the title of your post, and there you mentioned them, LOL! I still haven't gotten around to buying a belt, although I should. I'm well-rounded, too, but proportionate. I usually tell people I have an hour-glass figure (true), but there's a lot more sand now in the hourglass (also true.) Seeing how nice you look inspires me to go out and get that belt, or at least try to make one!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I remember using belts a lot more back in the 80s but haven't relaly used them much especially of late. I'm going to have to try them out again. :D

Audra Krell said...

You look fantastic in the pic so real life has got to be a knock-out! Thanks for this great and fun tip, I'm off to find something to emphasize the smallest part of me, my pinky toe.

Tara said...

You are right! I have heard that a million times lately.. to accentuate your narrowest part. I am NOT brave to wear a belt yet.. but I hope I will be sometime!

The Pennington Point said...

Ditto to everyone's comments. I've been told (by skinny people) that belts are a must if you don't want to look frumpy. But my waistline says otherwise. Thanks for the encouragment! Lisa~

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Love the pic, you look very stylin'! I might have to try to copy you ~ the untucked blouse is a great idea to de-emphasize the pooch. Or is it pouch? I'll do anything to keep mine out of sight, but I'm getting a little tired of baggy tee shirts. You look mah-velous!