Monday, September 1, 2008

Spray Your Hair Clean

I hate taking showers. Or, more specifically, I hate getting ready again after taking a shower. I've always said I wish I had a shower machine like the Jetsons, where you run through on a conveyor belt and come out fully clean, dry, dressed, and coiffed in minutes. If I had that I would take two showers a day. Three during the hot summer.


But until I can pick up a Jetson shower at Walmart, I have turned to a few other options. I've learned to use a shower cap, just washing my body and striving for a little more mileage on my blow-out. Sometimes I look in the mirror just before I get in the shower and say, "Man, my hair actually looks decent." So I throw on the shower cap. Which makes for much shorter showers. So short sometimes that my husband questions whether I really took a shower. He thinks I just hole up in the bathroom and read. I wish.


Sometimes my hair style looks okay the second (or third) day, but is just getting greasy. I read about dry shampoos a couple years ago and in May I was at Sephora with my Mom when I spotted a small bottle of Ojon Rub-Out Dry Cleanser and ending up bringing it home. Here's what Sephora's website says about it:

What it is: A dry cleanser that revives, refreshes, and recharges hair and scalp without water.
What it does:Ojon® Rub-Out™ Dry Cleanser instantly "erases" impurities, toxins, excess oil, and product build-up. It increases hair volume at the root while treating the hair and scalp. Ideal between washings, as a hair pick-me-up, when you're in a rush, or when you overuse a styling product. The Dry Cleanser leaves hair cleansed, light, luminous, and healthy -looking.

Sounds good, right? Who doesn't want luminous and healthy-looking hair? I'm not saying Ojon doesn't work, it's just that I haven't found it to be quite like Sephora says. First of all I don't like the smell, it's too sickly sweet. And secondly, it leaves white flakes. Kind of like back in the big hair days (which my fashion mags are predicting to be back in a big way for fall) when you went through a can of hair spray per week. Even though Ojon Dry Cleanser is meant to "erase" product build-up, it kinds of leaves it's own. But like the name, you are meant to rub out the product, which I assume takes the oil and other stuff with it. So as long as you spend plenty of time combing and rubbing out the flakes, you're good.

Personally, I think baby powder absorbs the oil better, although it leaves a gray color behind. I want to try the colored hair powders, like Bumble & Bumble's. But in the meantime, I'm still using the Ojon.

The other day my sister-in-law asked if I was using "that spray shampoo." I'm pretty sure she was trying to tell me I needed a shower, but took the chance to enlighten her with the pros and cons. I'm not sure I convinced her.


Another hair problem I've had lately is really tangled hair after I wash it - regardless of the conditioner I use. I finally bought some Infusium, which is the gold standard of leave-in detanglers. Then I had an epiphany. Even though I'm sure everyone in the world has thought of it before me. I have started brushing my hair before I get in the shower. While it's still dry and I can subdue the tangles wrought from a 24-hour pony tail and three small children. And amazingly I haven't had to use the Infusium. Who knew? Probably you.

4 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

I'm a shower hater. I rarely admit it, but it's true. I told my husband last night that I really wish that I could get my 80's perm back, it was just so easy to spritz it with water and have it spring to life! No shower necessary lol

Jennifer said...

OH please do tell if you find a miracle product like that! Some days my hair looks good and I really don't want to wash it- but I do anyway and then it just looks normal (not that good so in a ponytail.)

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I love showers. The longer and hotter the better. But I do hear you on not wanting to waste time doing hair. Last week I almost shaved my head. I just have so many other things to do and it's not like my hair looks so great, anyway.

Candice said...

I'm still not convinced. I laughed when I read your blog and remembered our conversation! And no, I wasn't telling you to go take a shower!
Steve-O says: "Chem-Dry for your hair and body would be a great idea! Spray and Go!"
I LOVE taking showers, like Shannon says, "the longer and hotter the better"! That is honestly where I make some of my best decisions and do my deepest thinking. I've always been like that. But I agree, I hate getting ready after that. I don't mind putting on my make-up, I hate spending the time styling my hair.