Tuesday, September 30, 2008

WFMW: Kitchen Organization by Computer


This week's edition of Works For Me Wednesday uses the theme of Kitchen Organization. I spent a few minutes racking my brain to come up with any way that you could call my kitchen organized. It's not the worst, I know where things are and can always find them. But I'm certainly not a model of efficiency and don't know that I could give anyone tips. But I did think of one kitchen-type area that I excel in: menu planning and grocery shopping.


I have always loved to plan menus, choose recipes, make grocery lists, etc. My downfall is the follow-through with shopping, chopping, and cooking. But I can plan with the best of them and always have things organized as to what we're having for dinner and what I need to buy at the grocery store. That way, even if I poop out on making dinner, at least there is a plan and all the ingredients. You know, in case my husband wants to take over. Which he sometimes does.


And to what do I owe my organization? My computer, of course. For my birthday a couple years ago I finally bought some recipe software to help me organize the tangle of 3x5 cards, computer files, torn-out magazine pages, and scrawled notes on scrap paper. There's a lot of software out there for this kind of thing, but after much research (and budget constrictions), I chose Home Cookin.


For only $30 I can keep all my recipes, plan menus by calendar, and keep a grocery list, complete with prices. There are also search features and intuitive navigation. My computer is steps away from my kitchen so I am constantly leaning over to add items to my grocery list. I've organized it to print out in order of the way I walk through my local grocery store. Which is very helpful and cuts down on shopping time. Saving time and being organized in the kitchen Works For Me!



My recent Works For Me Wednesday posts:
Teaching Your Children Through the Scriptures
Secret Ingredient: Cardamom
Belts Can Make an Outfit
Hip Baby or Not
How Many Push Ups Can You Do?

10 comments:

Audra Krell said...

Hi Tara- This is totally hilarious, almost like we planned it! : ) I think this means that our tips are really important!

Anonymous said...

Great tip. :) You and Audra both rock with the good ideas!

pinkcamojeep said...

Wow! What a great idea. I've often wondered if there was software that would function this way, but have never taken the time to investigate. I use a menu board (http://waistingaway.wordpress.com/?p=488&preview=true) and have a menu, but this would be SO helpful. Thanks for the post! Oh... and I love your blog name.
Blessings,
pinkcamojeep (karen)

Unknown said...

I have my laptop in my kitchen - but it looks like I should be using it more.

Off to check out the link.

Jerralea said...

Looks like I need a laptop in the kitchen! That software sounds interesting.

Happy Mommy said...

Great idea! Thanks.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I'm having deja vu! :D LOL! Great site! Thanks for sharing!! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great tip. I am going to check this software out. Would make life a little easier.

Anonymous said...

I have a laptop so I take w/me. Does this program work for a Mac?

Candice said...

You are super good that way! When ever I'm walking around the isles at the grocery store I always think of you and your organized shopping list. I need to get some software like that, heaven knows I need help in that area! I don't know what we are having for dinner until about 6:00pm that night! It's pretty bad!
BTW, I started the 100 pushups plan, I'll let you know how it goes!
Did you ever get that baby sling carrier that someone was going to make you?