Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dare to Display Your Doilies

My sweet grandmother passed away last fall and I miss her. She was a talented seamstress and crafter and would patiently teach my three sisters and I how to crochet long strings or cross-stitch basic patterns. Even with six granddaughters she planned ahead and handmade birthday presents for each of us every year from age 11 to age 19. There was a specific item designated for each birthday, but as the oldest, I was suprised every year. My hope chest soon filled up with beautiful items, but by the time I married and was setting up a home of my own, some of my treasures seemed a bit outdated. I love my cross-stitched aprons and soft purple afghan, but wasn't a fan of the three large doilies my beloved Gram made for me. Yet I was proud of them and somehow wanted to display them. So I came up with this piece. I personally like it because it reminds me of my grandmother, but I have also received a lot of compliments and comments from guests. My mother-in-law is expecting one for Christmas this year.



I used a heavy piece of black fabric, mine has a tone on tone vertical stripe, and wrapped it around a piece of foam core display board. You can just duct tape it to the back. I also duct taped some wire back there to hang it. Then I bought ahpolstery tacks and just used them to tack my doily to the board. I thought about starching the doily to keep it flat and attached to the board, or glueing it somehow, but it's been fine for a couple years now. The biggest problem is keeping my display dust-free, since it's not in glass. But it Works for Me! Here's a shot of my project on the wall at a time when my kitchen was relatively clean.


For more Works for Me Wednesday tips check out Rocks in My Dryer.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous idea! And the effect of the doilies on the black fabric is very stunning.

Thanks for sharing. =0)

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Yes, I do like the white on black -- elegant and eye-catching. My mom loves doilies and antique laces.

Did I tell you Grampa sent us a mini-sewing machine from HSN? Think we'll do pillowcases soon.

Heather said...

Neat idea! Must give it a shot...

The Momster said...

I always enjoy these ideas - it's a way of celebrating our heritage - giving the hard work that someone's hands made just for you :)

Carol said...

Beautiful. What a great way to preserve her beautiful handiwork!

Heather said...

Thank you! I have a large doily that needs to be displayed as well, you have given me a wonderful idea!

Unknown said...

Very pretty! I have none, yup none, but enjoyed your post!

Susan said...

My MIL has several doilies framed like this in her house. They're very elegant, very pretty.

Audra Krell said...

These are so beautiful and special, thank for the idea!

Honey Mommy said...

This is an awesome idea!

I also have some doilies that I inherited, and they have been sitting in my cedar chest FOREVER. Now I know what to do with them!

Mary said...

Great idea. So graphic against the black.