Friday, July 11, 2008

Stencils, Silhouettes & domino tips


I used to subscribe to domino magazine, which is from the same publishers as Lucky. But after a few years of looking longingly at things far above my budget, I dropped it. I still frequent their website and found a great photo gallery this week entitled, cheap decorating tips from domino readers. They featured 31 projects that readers sent in - most in the DIY category, and most fairly inexpensive. Some are a bit kitschy, a few were silly in my opinion, some you could never reproduce unless you are an extremely talented artist (see #6) but I found several great tips too. My favorite tip was the stenciled silhouettes featured above. I love silhouettes and created one of each of my sons that I have framed.

I also love the idea of stenciling, though I have not been brave enough to try it yet. In the early days of this blog I wrote a post about stenciling in my living room, asking for opinions on a design. Still planning to do it - which design do you like best?

At this page I like Casablanca, Celestse, and Poppy Frieze (click on the design names on the left)

I like Ivy Pergola and Mission Spirit on this page at the same site.
By the way, the website featuring the stencils is The Craftsman Homes Connection & I am pretty much in love with every one of the thousands of items there. I would put the images here but they are copyrighted - but please check them out and let me know which stencil you like best.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Go for the stenciling! I did it in my last house and even though it wasn't perfect I was proud of it. It adds a nice touch.

Candice said...

My favorite one is the Poppy Frieze stencil.

Tiffany Feger said...

I don't know about stensiling. That scares me. It takes long enough just to paint a room with one coat of paint.
I like the bathroom walls though. For your readers like me who would rather pay someone for home made work, my cousin does sassy sillouettes. http://munchkinpie.blogspot.com/2008/03/sassy-silhouettes.html
I'm going to do it as gifts for my friend. (Of her two kids).