Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sticky Rice with Mangos


I once promised a recipe for this sweet Thai treat here on my blog but never followed through. A month or so back a friend of mine was watching Iron Chef, with the secret ingredient of rice, when she thought of my promise and IMed me for the recipe. I immediately typed it out and e-mailed to her, since that's the kind of friend I am, but still failed to post. But after finding beautiful fresh mangos at the grocery store this week, I couldn't resist. Sticky rice with coconut sauce is my favorite thing to order at Thai restaurants and I was so glad when I got a recipe in the cooking class I took at my local community college.

I always think of my friend, Jane, when I eat mangos because she is allergic to them. Or just to the oils on the skin or something because she can eat them prepared, she just can't get near a mango during the peeling process. And quite the process it is! If you have never prepared fresh mango, check out this page I found for wonderful tips!

Here is the official recipe but please read to the bottom for my personal tips.

Sticky Rice with Mangos

2 c. sweet rice
2 c. cold water
1 c. Lite Coconut Milk
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbs. sugar

Sauce
1 c. Coconut Milk
3 Tbs. Sugar

2 Ripe Mangos

Soak rice 1 hour. Drain. Combine rice, water, 1 c. coconut milk, salt and sugar together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer with lid on for 15 min. Combine other cup coconut milk and sugar and heat to dissolve. Put cooked rice in a bowl, pour sauce over and top with mangos.

Please note that this is sweet rice, which is an actual kind of rice, but it tends to come out pretty mushy sometimes so I only soak it for 45 minutes and then cook it for 13-15 minutes. I like a stronger coconut flavor so I use a whole can (almost 2 cups) of lite coconut milk with 1 cup of water and the other ingredients to cook the rice. I also like tons of sauce so I double the recipe, which means I use 1 whole can of coconut milk and 6 Tbs. of sugar. I sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top if I have them, because that's what the Thai restaurants do and it's good.

For other recipes with less than five ingredients check out Works For Me Wednesday.

Check out my Beauty on a Budget post from Monday to enter the giveaway!

5 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

This sounds so good to me. I will never be able to repay you for introducing me to the good Botan Cal Rose rice. It's made such a difference.

And bring on the mangoes!

Aubrey said...

I love this dessert. Seeing your picture makes me want to make some right now. I think this would also be really good with fresh peaches.

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

OK Tara, you never cease to amaze me! And did you make that pasta salad at JC's birthday party? It was THE BEST! I think I saw that recipe on your blog somewhere.

Kristen M. said...

Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Land of Lovings said...

This has to be one of my all-time favorite foods to eat. But, I've always had to run to our local Thai restaurant to get it. Now, I can't wait to try this at home!

Thanks for posting this recipe!