Monday, July 21, 2008

St. Ives Best and Worst

For me, the frumpiest feeling in the world is dull, lackluster skin that seems to be flaking off in quarter size pieces. So my favorite way to Fight the Frump is by exfoliating! Let me start off with the disclaimer that my face is NOT sensitive. I think I could take a belt sander to the skin and not feel pain. My biggest spa day wish would be for microdermabrasion.

I'm sure you understand now when I say I exfoliate daily. And my product of choice...

St. Ives Apricot Scrub, Blemish Control. It costs $4-5 dollars at any grocery store, drug store, Target, Walmart, etc. I love that it is so easy to find, and I love that it is so cheap. Although it kills me to pay $5 sometimes because I remember when it was $2 or under. Yes, I have been using it since 1988. For those of you with quick math skills like mine, that's 20 years! You used to be able to purchase it in the big tub, which while economical, made a bigger mess since you have to unscrew the lib and scoop it out with your fingers.



I use this EVERY day in the shower. Well, okay, every day that I take a shower. I am a mom to small children. Don't tell me you managed a 20 minute shower everyday when you had a newborn. Apricot Scrub goes with me when I travel and if I somehow forget it, I buy some wherever I am - another reason I'm glad it's widely available. On the rare times I get rushed or interrupted in the shower and forget to scrub, I can tell immediately and my face feels tight, stiff, and kind of heavy. I like the Blemish Control version of Apricot scrub that was introduced a few years ago. I have perpetually breaking-out skin and love that my favorite scrub helps to control it. Although I must admit that since I first got pregnant, three kids ago, my skin has shaped up a lot. It's like using my procreative powers made my skin sit up and say, "Oh, she's a grown-up now. Guess it's time to get over the whole teenage angst thing."


Some day I will splurge for microdermabrasion at a professional place. Until then it's great that there are so many new "microdermabrasion" products. I tried L'oreal's version a couple years ago and liked it quite well. The scrub was great and I really enjoyed the accompanying post-treatment sunscreen moisturizer. Unfortunately the scrub was gone in a month and I used that moisturizer for the next six. Why can't you buy them separately? And the kit cost $25, which is more than this Beauty on a Budget gal can afford every month. So when my beloved St. Ives came out with their Elements collection, including Microderm Abrasion, I was excited to try it.


I bought it at my local grocery store, with a $2 off coupon. And I am sad to report I Do Not Like It! I want to, but I just don't. The grit in here is way too fine for my skin and I end up scrubbing so hard my fingers are sore from trying to push harder on my face. Now don't forget my first disclaimer about my leathery skin. For those of you with sensitive skin, the Elements Microderm Abrasion is probably perfect. For under $10 you should definitely try it. And I did find that when I used Microderm Abrasion AFTER my apricot scrub, the results were great! It's like sanding wood - start with the heavy duty sand paper and move to the fine grit stuff.

Please check out this post for a delicious chocolate cake recipe and a giveaway!

If you love Project Runway, check out my weekly recaps.

6 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I used to love exfoliating and stuff, but I think I do have sensitive skin, and the best thing I ever started doing was using moisturizer regularly (I like Oil of Olay -- talk about Beauty on a Budget!).

Have you ever heard of the Clear Skin regimen? It's good for acne (which I don't think you have), but the guy goes on and on about how exfoliation is so irritating to skin. Instead, he recommends washing with regular soap, and then using 10% benzoic acid and then moisturizer on top of that, but overall, using chemicals rather than grit to try out problem areas.

Thoughts?

Firefly Nights said...

I also use the Apricot Scrub and like it very much. In addition, I had a wonderful change in my skin condition when I switched from commercial soaps to homemade soap that a friend sells. I was amazed at the difference it made in just a day or two.

Lori said...

if you'd like i can dig up those pictures of us using the scrub and mask from the good ol' days! hehe. i am one to fit in the sensitive catagory and cetaphil is what my dermatologist said i had to use (mind you that was also 20+ years ago and i don't have achne too often), but i have from time to time used the apricot and other scrubs.

Darla said...

I cannot use anything with even the smallest grit or I break out. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

The St. Ives scrub is an essential in my shower routine too! I have large, clogging pores, and the blemish fighting version is fantastic for me.
I'm not an expert, but I would rather rub some sandy/apricot nut pieces on my face than rub chemicals over it, you know?

Abbreviated said...

Have a bunch of Arbonne scrubs.