Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lightening Up My Morning

This morning the boys were semi-watching something on TiVo and when it finished the tv tuned in to whatever station it was on. I heard the long-familiar strains of The Cosby Show. I used to love watching this family friendly show - it is seriously funny! There's a reason Bill Cosby was a successful comedian. I listened from the other room for a while, trying to place the voice of what was obviously a guest star. It was so familiar and I finally walked into the living room to see. The hilarious John Ritter was guest starring as the husband of one of Dr. Huxtable's OB patients. I was compelled by forces beyond my control to watch the last ten minutes and loved how this bit of comedy brightened my morning. Where have all the good shows gone?





I just pulled the following from Wikipedia, which includes a reference to the episode I saw this morning. I miss John.


Personal life (of John Ritter)
He married twice, once to actress Nancy Morgan (married 1977-divorced 1996) and then to actress Amy Yasbeck (married 1999-his death). Yasbeck had played his wife or love interest in the first two Problem Child movies (interestingly, she played a different character in each movie). Yasbeck also played Ritter's wife in two sitcom appearances. In 1991, both were guest stars on The Cosby Show, where Yasbeck played the in-labor wife of Ritter's basketball coach character. In 1996, Ritter guest starred on Yasbeck's sitcom Wings as the estranged husband of Yasbeck's character Casey. Ritter and Morgan had three children: Carly, Tyler, and Jason. He and Yasbeck had one daughter, Stella.

3 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I agree -- where have all the good shows gone? I mean, I like a lot of what's on tv nowadays (or on hulu.com anyway), but I can't watch any of it with my kids (except for Simpsons of course).

Kristin - The Goat said...

I decided a few years ago to not get involved in TV shows that weren't about real people. I watched the first season of Desperate Housewives & just hated that I was watching it - while watching it!

I think I watched a few years of Friends and Frasier. We won't even go into my Survivor, ANTM, Project Runway, Amazing Race, etc devotions. I'm totally completely smitten.

I love movies though -- those don't count as TV shows lol

I did like John Ritter - I liked him quite a bit. A real nice guy.

Unknown said...

We ask the same question every year when new shows come out. I think imagination and humor died somewhere in the 80s and was replaced with innuendo and sloth. We don't watch anything on the big three any longer because they celebrate death and mayhem or sex.

We've recently found a place where they rerun shows like the Cosby Show and Alf and love watching shows from long ago.