Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Only 352 Days To Get These Done

It's Works For Me Wednesday time again - somehow I've missed it the last couple weeks. I was both devastated and relieved, all at once. Blogging is full of conflicting emotions like that. This week what worked for me was making a list. Posting things on the internet keeps me motivated & gives me some sort of accountability. Keep reading...


I always love finding new blogs that interest me. Lately I came across Joslyn at Simple Lovely and as I was reading, I found her post titled 34 Before 35. She & her friend, Amy at doobleh-vay, decided to create of list of goals, great & small, to accomplish before their next birthday; they are both turning 35. And as their readers posted their own lists on their blogs, they left the link in the comments of Joslyn & Amy's original posts.


I thought it was a marvelous idea and started thinking about things I would like to accomplish. I mulled it over for a few days, discusses it with my husband, & started my list. Since I just had my 32nd birthday, I will have a whole year to finish my list. I added some hefty goals and some smaller things I have been wanting to do for a long time. Some are fun, some are serious. Some are personal, some are for my family. I wrote it out in my own hand, with my favorite pen, but will also list here for ease of reference.


Part of the idea is to stay accountable to others & basically to the internet as a whole. Isn't that what blogging is for? I can blog about my progress & refer back to particular numbers on my list. It should make for a fun year. I hope you stick with me on my journey - or join me with your own list. I'd love to hear about your list in a comment on this post, but make sure you check out Joslyn & Amy too.




32 Things To Do Before Age 33

1. Read the Book of Mormon
2. Fast every month (I have been pregnant or nursing most of the last 5 years, so am out of the habit)
3. Attend the temple 12 times (basically once a month)
4. Print our family blog book for 2008 (I did it for 2007 and LOVE it!)
5. Catch up on the boys' baby books
6. Catch up on photo albums through June '09. (I'm currently at Jan '08)
7. Install the sprinkler timer, level & reseed the backyard
8. Install a digital thermostat
9. Prepare 72 hour kits for my family & renew them every six months
10. Have a two months food supply for my family
11. Pay off all credit card debt
12. Take a sewing class for the home
13. Finish headboard slipcovers and curtains for the master bedroom
14. Complete our family stockings (missing two currently)
15. Make the satin wreath I bought materials for in 2004
16. Catalogue our home for insurance purposes
17. Potty train Emmett
18. Plan a great date for Aaron & I
19. Go to a drive in movie as a family
20. Take a free online class on an interesting & new (to me) topic
21. Run a 5K in less than 36 minutes
22. Write thank you notes for gifts received
23. Make doughnuts from scratch
24. Go on a family camping trip.
25. Watch a foreign film (with subtitles)
26. Throw a semi-formal dinner party
27. Get business/blogging/mommy/calling cards for myself
28. Learn a new piece on the piano (I played when I was young but don't even have a piano now)
29. Get to know my neighbors
30. Develop the perfect brownie recipe
31. Write letters to my sons - to be opened when they turn twelve
32. Find and blog about ten new artists (musicians, artists, writers, etc.)

14 comments:

Robyn said...

Great list! I have done many of things and I think you've been very good at well-rounding yourself.

The drive-in movie has always been a family favorite of ours. The girls talk about going in the summertime every year as they were growing up. We all loved it so much that on the ranch we're going to build a big screen for outside to show movies on Friday nights.

Good luck with your list!

Rebecca Irvine said...

One thing I would like to do sometime is cook every recipe in a cookbook. But since I have been trying to lose weight I have not got around to it yet. I need to do better about setting goals. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michele said...

Such a wonderful list! My birthday is coming up in December and I would love to do something like this for next year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lynne Campbell said...

I need a list like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Come and visit my new blog...I am a newbie and need lots of pats on the back....lots of visitors...

Love your blog

Audra Krell said...

It will be so exciting to see all you have accomplished in a year! I know you will do great.

Susan said...

This is a great idea - I wish I was motivated enough to do it myself :) By the way, if you head our way on Christmas Eve, you can cross #23 off the list.

Grammy said...

Great Ideal, I started a bucket list after watching the movie in Feb. It has helped me improve my life.

mub said...

This is such a cool idea!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I love this idea. I agree accountability sure makes it easier to get things done. I might have to incorporate this as my bday is coming up. :D

Zion said...

WHAT A COINCIDENCE, I didn't read that simply lovely blog, but I wrote about the exact same concept on Monday. I have a short testimony about what blog accountability has done for me, and I just started 3 months ago. I also have 5 things I am going to do before January 1st. Here is the link
The Messy Mom: New Year's Resolution Reversed (join in the fun)

Jane Anne said...

Oh, I like this idea! This year I made a list (same # of items as my age) on my birthday of all the things that I learned in the past year (35 Things). That is a fun excercise, too.

Jane Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin - The Goat said...

I started something like that back in January called 101 Things to do in 1001 days. My list doesn't include anything like Skydiving - but putting away laundry was one of the Things To Do and I accomplished it and still am. It made a difference to write down what I wanted --- I hope you find the same thing happens to you.

Above all - Enjoy!!
Kristin

Candice said...

Wow, look at you go! Those are some great goals, good luck! My favorite is #30 the brownies. Hopefully I'll get to taste this perfected recipe! Yum! Can't wait!