Thursday, November 6, 2008

Birthday Cake!

For my husband's birthday in September, I let him choose a cake recipe, that I would then turn into a masterpiece, suitable for framing and eating. I did this once before, his first birthday after we were married, seven years ago. It was time for another. Aaron often accuses me of spending too much time on blogs, but he is known to subscribe to a few (hundred) in his own Google Reader. He shared a recipe with me from Gourmet Mom on the Go.


And I dutifully made the Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge Cake and decorated it to perfection. Well, as best I could since despite asking for cake-decorating lessons the last four Christmases, they have yet to materialize. The recipe was actually quite easy, being based on a cake mix and all. And the peanut butter frosting was easy too, as well as being one of the best frostings I have ever tasted. She lists her own decorating instructions for this cake, which I am leaving out in case you just want to eat this absolutely scrumptious cake without spending an hour decorating it, like I did. I have since been subscribing to Gourmet Mom on the Go & she has tons of delicious recipes and lots of great food ideas & tips for younger kids. (like mine) Please go visit her blog.







Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge Cake


Chocolate Fudge Cake

1 box Chocolate Fudge cake mix (or any chocolate cake mix)
1 (3 oz.) box instant chocolate pudding
2 C. sour cream
5 eggs
1 C. melted butter
1 tsp. almond extract
1 C. chocolate chips (I recommend ghirardelli)

In a large bowl, beat first 6 ingredients until well blended. Mixture will be thick. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into three greased 9” pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-40 minutes. (Keep an eye on them so they don’t overbake). Cool completely. I actually like to pop them in the freezer for easy assembling.


Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:
2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
2/3 cup butter
1 3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
6-8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 2 lb.)

Directions:
Cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
Add peanut butter, milk and vanilla.
Gradually add 6 c. sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add more sugar (or milk) as needed until icing is desired consistency (should be firm enough to hold a shape but still smooth)
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re-whip before using.

For other yummy recipes, visit the Recipe Box Swap at i have to say.

9 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

OMGoodness. That looks so good.

Renee said...

Now that looks lethal and oh so good. I have a few birthdays coming up and I may have to try this recipe out.

Renee

Rebecca Irvine said...

Looks and sounds very yummy!

Shelli said...

I have to say, this post gives new meaning to your title, Well Rounded Woman!

Anonymous said...

You aren't allowed to post things like this without saving me a piece! Seriously! ;)

This looks so very good. Thanks for sharing!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I'm way impressed by the decorating job. No classes needed for you!

Mandy said...

Someone told me they saw the infamous PB cake on your blog...how cool are you??! You did an awesome job!!! I am loving your monday beauty posts, I'm a product junkie so I had fun going through some of your posts for tips (I had heard of the Ojon waterless cleaner but now I don't think I'll try it). Great blog!
-Mandy
www.gourmetmomonthego.blogspot.com

Robyn said...

It looks amazing! I bet it was very tasty too! There are a ton of decorating techniques on you tube now days. A lot are very good hardly worth the price of a class!

Lynn said...

Oh boy, I gotta make this one! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Yum yum.