Monday, November 24, 2008

Minimum Effort, Maximum Reward

I have that kind of hair that's mostly straight, but can kind of be wavy, or even curly with the right product. But even when it's straight, there are parts that won't cooperate, like the sides, underneath my ears. That part likes to be curly, and generally doesn't grow long. And I am currently wearing the rest of my hair long. This problem manifests itself mostly when I wear a ponytail (everyday) and especially when it's humid. I end up with what I affectionately refer to as angel wings - wispy, curly, halo-like masses over my ears. It's fun.


So, why all this babble about my hair? A few years ago I discovered a product that works wonders for me. My hair looks best if I use several straightening, glossing type products and blow dry and flat iron. But, being a mom of little kids, this only happens on Sundays monthly three times a year. But with this new mousse I found, my hair looks pretty good on many a day - at least until it gets scraped into a ponytail out of desperation.




Beyond the Zone Bored Straight is my favorite hair product. It's mousse. But with the amazing ability to straighten your hair. Well, they don't say it's a mousse, but anything that comes out of an aerosol can as a foam and is the first product I put on my wet hair is a mousse to me. I can comb out my hair after I shower, put Bored Straight all over my hair (not just the roots) comb it straight again, and let it airdry. That's it. Even if I don't use any other products, my hair ends up straight and smooth. And shiny. Oh it's good stuff. And only $6 at any Sally Beauty Supply.




If I'm feeling really fancy, I follow up with Beyond the Zone Straight Shot, which is listed as a straightening balm, but is really the stickiest, goopiest product I've ever used. You only need a little bit, and once I rub it on top of my hair (not throughout) I have a hard time getting the slimey feel off my hands. But this stuff is amazing too! I always get very straight hair without having to blow dry.




I continue to try new Beyond the Zone products and have liked others too. And these two are my favorites. But there's a few I didn't care for also, namely the Noodle Head curly products. With the right stuff, my hair can be quite curly or wavy, but I didn't like any of the four Noodle Head products I tried. It could just be me, of course, but in my opinion - go for the Straight Stuff! Here's the picture of me yesterday, I used both products, spent less than 5 minutes on my hair, no blowdrying.



For more Works For Me Wednesday tips, check out Rocks in My Dryer.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks tara, bored straight sounds like EXACTLY what i need.

Audra Krell said...

I too, need this. I'd love to see a picture of your hair when you only use product and don't flat iron. Sounds great!

Unknown said...

This will be SO perfect on humid days! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay said...

Our hair sounds exactly alike! I'm on my way to Sally tomorrow!!!! Thanks!

Amy said...

I HAVE to try this. I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. Maybe this will help.

Thanks!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

If I hadn't just chopped my hair completely, I'd give it a try.

I am impressed by those who iron their hair -- I can't even get around to ironing the clothes!

TuTu's Bliss said...

lol I don't iron my clothes either but my hair is a semi curly mess. I don't have curly hair..I have natural fuzz!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to look for this. My hair tends to have some wave in it, so if I let it air dry it looks frizzy. Thanks for sharing! :D

Wanda said...

I am the poster child for BAD HAIR DAY!

I will pick these up next time I'm at Sally's!

Love that product too.

Sunny said...

Oh, thanks so much! I'm always looking for straightening products. And when I finally find one, they stop carrying it. Ugh! My hair is more on the curly side, though.

(my hair looks just like yours in the pic when I straighten it - color, length and everything!)

Audra Krell said...

Thanks for posting the pic, you have beautiful hair!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try these - thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tip...I can't wait to try it. Went to Sally's today, and this product is now called "Straight Shot". Just wanted to let you know if you go in looking for it.

Candice said...

WOW! I wish my hair looked that shiny, straight and beautiful with such little effort. (you know besides all the things you've done like having to grow it out, wash it, brush it, and maintain it for years).

Becca Rocks said...

Ok, I tried this, maybe I went overkill or something...My hair felt like straw and was stiff after it dried...Any tips!?

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! our hair sounds EXACTLY alike! I'll try this... only thing is that my mom likes my wisps....
btw, i love your hair color...it is natural, right??
thanks!
MS

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! our hair sounds EXACTLY alike! I'll try this... only thing is that my mom likes my wisps....
btw, i love your hair color...it is natural, right??
thanks!
MS