Monday, November 10, 2008

A Vested Interest

I really love the look of a fitted vest over an outfit. This trend emerged a couple years ago but seems to be going strong. I first noticed it on House (one of my fave shows) because it seemed like Dr. Cameron was sporting this look a lot. And since she is so beautiful & I was always envious of her outfits & style - I've paid attention to this look ever since. There are a few options out there.


First is the sweater vest, in a traditional style. This are a bit fitted, and can be solid or patterned. You have to be careful to get something ... hmm, how do I put this? Something NOT like the sweater vests I wore in junior high. Here are some ideas:




Brooklyn Industries 5 Points Cardigan - I imagine this with dark wash skinny jeans & black penny loafers.

Forever 21 Academy Sweater Vest - this reminds me of Gossip Girl & is begging to be paired with a skirt

Boden Fun Tank Top - this comes in six great patterns



Then we have sweater vests in a more casual style - chunkier, looser, longer. They look so comfy but very stylish too.



Merona Drop-Shoulder Shawl-Collar Vest - I love the dark teal color & can see myself throwing this on over many a winter outfit. (Yes, we have winter here in AZ. It starts in about 6 more weeks.)

Forever 21 Cableknit Sweatervest - heathered grey is so versatile & the little pockets are so cute




The other option is a menswear-inspired vest, usually fitted. And therein lies the problem for me. I'm not holding out a lot of hope, honestly. But for those of you with smaller chests, here are some great pieces.





Gap Herringbone Vest - this classic tweed would look great over sporty looking jeans & turtlenecks, or over a floaty skirt & chiffon blouse.

Kohls Chaps Pin-Striped Vest - more masculine than others, but classic & sporty looking

Kohls Elle Pin-Striped Vest - I like the more feminine cut on this & the puffed pockets & gathered back. The grey is a nice alternative.

Target Isaac Mizrahi Double Breasted Vest - this one has maximum coverage & that cool double-breasted look.

Target GO International Flocked Vest - a cropped, modern version that reminds me somehow of the swingy trapeze jackets.

Kohls AB Studio Double-Breasted Vest - the ultimately sexy version, lowcut & slim black.

4 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

I too love the look of vests but have yet to find one that works well with a large chest. Bummer.

AudreyO said...

Wow, some of these are really gorgeous. I don't own any vests, though whenever I'm in the store, I look at them. The "problem" is I tend to run cold and then my arms would be cold.

AudreyO said...

Wow, some of these are really gorgeous. I don't own any vests, though whenever I'm in the store, I look at them. The "problem" is I tend to run cold and then my arms would be cold.

AudreyO said...

Wow, some of these are really gorgeous. I don't own any vests, though whenever I'm in the store, I look at them. The "problem" is I tend to run cold and then my arms would be cold.