Saturday, November 8, 2008

Setting an Example

Today, in the midst of my Saturday cleaning session, I took a break and headed to my church building - to do more cleaning. In my church, instead of hiring people to clean our buildings, we rely on the members volunteering and taking turns vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, emptying trashes, and mopping floors. Today was my family's chance to show the Lord how thankful we are for a beautiful building to hold our worship services. And when I say my family, I mean me -while my good husband watched our angel children.


But there was another family assigned to work this Saturday too, and it happened to be the bishop's family. The bishop is the head of each congregation. I just wanted to post today about how pleased I was to watch this good family - a father, a mother, and five children - work together at this assignment. They were even pleasant to each other. Amazing. A bishop has many roles to play, and this one involved wearing his BYU t-shirt & sweats and wielding a mop. All in the name of serving the Lord and our fellow man. It's a small thing, but it made me happy.

1 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

One good thing about being new in a ward is that no one expects you to do much at first. Even with my new calling, they're cutting me a lot of slack. Not that I slack, or anything. :)