Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankfulness Abounds

We are celebrating a little differently this year. Instead of a big Thanksgiving dinner with all our extended family, the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, fixings, pies, etc. - Aaron and I are taking our three boys out to eat at a restaurant. It was his idea. I supported him but was disappointed to be missing the big family dinner.

Then I realized what a brilliant plan it was! No chance of us hosting, so no frantic scrubbing, scouring, dusting, and cleaning. No rolls or pies to make. No schedule to follow. We have just enjoyed this week with our own little family. And we're spending today watching the Macy's parade and lots of football. Later, after naps, we'll load our boys up and head to Cracker Barrel. Laugh if you must, but it's the perfect place for kids, and it's home-style cooking.

Now, we are only skipping the family event because it's family that we see every week, all year round. If this were a get together with loved ones that we don't see often - we would be there. But I think we will make this a new tradition. We alternate years of celebration with my family and my husband's - and now, every three years we will skip all the hub-bub and spend our Thanksgiving day with our own little family, and leave the cooking to someone else. As the boys get older, we can try out much nicer places. And I can bake pies or rolls anytime I want. Maybe even today.

This year I am thankful for:
my husband
our eternal marriage
our sons
the time the five of us have to spend together (especially this
week)
our health
our beautiful home
plenty of material blessings
our extended family
the word of the Lord through scriptures and prophets
the atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ

0 comments: